Monday, April 29, 2013

Courthouse Steps

After the tragic events in Boston, the Boston Modern Quilt Guild has stepped up to help by making quilts to donate to those directly affected by the bombings. And they need our help. They are asking for anyone that can, to make  12 1/2" blocks using the colors from the Boston Marathon. Blues, yellows, grays and white. You can find all the information and see the colors here.
I decided to make 12 1/2" Courthouse Steps to represent the JUSTICE that we as a country seek after those horrific bombings!  I used a navy with white stars for the center to remind everyone that we are America Strong!

I am not normally a modern block quilter but I like the way these turned out. Hopefully they will be modern enough to blend with all the other blocks that I am seeing on flickr. Be sure to post your photos to the flickr group.
One thing I figured out, is that I do not have much yellow in my stash and even less gray!  And all of these fabrics except the blue star in the center block came from  Pink Castle Fabrics StashStack Club .Now I am off to mail these (and I am sending the scraps with them to help fill in spots as needed) to:
  Quilts for Boston 
 P.O. Box 79225
     Belmont Ma 02479
They would like to receive all blocks and donations of fabric for binding, sashing and backing by May 24th. Help spread the word. They have a button for your blog. Tweet it! Share on instagram and Facebook.
It never ceases to amaze me how generous and kind hearted quilters are. I LOVE being part of this wonderful quilty crafty community, here online and locally! Have a wonderfully fun sewing kind of day!
And thank you for stopping by! I love to read your comments and cherish each and every word!
Linking up to Plum and June Let's Get Acquainted being hosted this week by Kirsten at Gemini Stitches

20 comments :

  1. Your blocks turned out lovely and I am sure they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing the info with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. These were fun to make.
      Have a great day! And thank you for stopping by.
      Jan

      Delete
  2. Wow. These are beautiful blocks. An entire quilt of them would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. I had fun picking these fabrics out even though I am not used to using these types of prints and colors. I am really starting to like some of the more modern looking quilting I see all over blogland!
      Cheers
      Jan

      Delete
  3. I like those colors together--they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Fenna, they were fun to make!
    Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous. Love your meaning behind the fabric choice and block choice. I am a Canadian - our hearts are with you xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thank you so much and thank you for your thoughts for our country!xo
      Jan

      Delete
  6. They turned out great! Thanks for all the info too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I haven't made this block before but it was really fun to sew. And thanks for stopping by!
      Jan

      Delete
  7. Very pretty blocks and the colours work together so well. They'll work fine with other donated blocks, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. They were fun to make. Have a great day and thank you for stopping by!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those log cabins are really CLEAN, in the modern sense - well designed - beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is good to hear that maybe I am on the right track! I value your opinion!
      Thank you for stopping by.
      Jan

      Delete
  10. love your blocks and the reason you made them

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love these blocks and the heart that made them. Your decision for the block pattern matched my own feeliings on the event!

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you both. My heart just goes out to those poor families. Their lives were changed in just an instant. Just a senseless tragedy.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful blocks - the colours are so lovely together. Thanks for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for hosting this week.
      Cheers
      Jan

      Delete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan