Monday, April 22, 2013

Learning new things...and Happy Earth Day!

This past weekend between calves, kittens and chickens keeping me busy, I actually had a little time to work on some English Paper Piecing for a secret project coming up in May. Now I am trying to teach myself how to EPP. I have watched a few you tube videos on the internet, but I have not ever had anyone show me how to EPP. So, here is the back of one of the pieces I have done. Looks a little sloppy.


I used white thread so I could see how what I was doing. Or should I use dark blue?  Is this correct or will the whole thing fall apart when I take the paper out? I do not sew to the paper. Here is the front:

See the little dip or pucker in the top right? Should I take this out? Or press the heck out of it?
Happy Earth Day!
 
In the bright sunshine I can see my stitches. Do your stitches show like this? I really would appreciate any help or suggestions on this. Boy, this is like having someone go through your undergarment drawer!
Linking up to Plum and June Let's get Acquainted being hosted this week by the amazing Kristy at Quiet Play.

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting me .  I love your comments and cherish each and every one.! Jan

14 comments :

  1. Well, I see you grew up to accomplish one of your goals - farmer's wife! Me too! I have not dove into the hexi piecing yet, but I would fix the little dip. Otherwise it will always bother you! Here is a great link to sewing the hexi's together.... http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/06/hexagon-tutorial-with-mylar-templates_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorna,
    I love living on a farm. I am sure you do too! Thanks for the link - I will certainly check it out. Thank you for stopping by.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun project. I'm not much help in how to do it, but English paper peicing is also on my list of things to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindi,
    I have enjoyed it so far. Let's hope I improve with practice! Thank you for stopping by!
    Have fun!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. EPP is lots of fun and a great on the go project. I prefer to stitch thru the paper as I can get the fabric tighter and give them a good press once I have a stack before stitching the hexies together. I use a contrast color of thread to baste so I can easily spot it to cut it out when I am done. To stitch together I try and use a thread that will blend and be difficult to see. Katy who blogs at IAm a Ginger Monkey has lots of good epp info. Yours are looking good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina,
      Thanks for the help. I will deinitely check out Katy's information too. Jan

      Delete
  6. I haven't done EPP so have no advice whatsoever but it looks like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy for stopping by and for hosting this week. I am a new blogger so these get acquainted links helps!
      Jan

      Delete
  7. I'm no expert...I started my own EPP a few weeks ago. I have to work on it again sometime. =) Looks good to me. Visiting from Let's Get Acquainted. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with yours too. I really like EPP so far! I went to your blog and I love the Michigan quilt! I signed up to follow through friend connect! Thank you for taking time to visit my blog! Have a great day!
      Jan

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by!
      Jan

      Delete
  9. I love the hexies. I get torn about puckers like that, too. I usually feel bad in the end if I didn't take them out, so I'm trying to be better about that. What did you decide to do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jan...I stitch the backs of my hexies the same way...because I don't want to go back and pull out the basting and it will stay nice and tidy when you take the papers out. I use freezer paper templetes with a teeny hole snipped in the center...put a pin thru the center to lift up the papers.

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan