Monday, April 8, 2013

Spicey Crewel Wool

 I have a little project I am working on using Appleton Wool....
Gorgeous, scrumptious Appleton Wool.
I love using this wool for crewel work. I ordered mine from Katherine at Wool and Hoop. You can find her here: http://www.woolandhoop.com/index.html
I have really run out of room to store my wool, floss and hoops, so I wanted to find a way to organize the wool I am using and store the remainder. This is what I came up with:

I know ,a REALLY ugly old spice rack! Until I painted it a pretty glossy white!
I then added a few hooks on the front of each side and painted wooden dowels with wooden spool ends going across the front of each shelf to hang the skeins of wool on.
I filled up the shelves with patterns, pearl cotton, needles, floss, pencils etc..
And spaced the dowels so that the wool would hang just above the dowel below:
I added a hook on the bottom with a ribbon to hold some hoops, then added another row of wool:
And finished filling it up !

I hung the whole contraption above my work desk. I love how the bright colors of the wool just liven up this corner.And I like the width of each row of wool because of course the skein I need will always be in the middle of the row. lol!

Now I just need to thrift another $1.99 spice rack to go beside this one!
I really enjoy repurposing items into something pretty and useful.
And if you haven't tried Appleton Wool I highly recommend it!
I am linking up to Let's Get Acquainted Monday, being hosted this week by
Nat at Made in Home.
Thank you for stopping by, I love to read your comments and cherish each and every one!

15 comments :

  1. Wonderful refurbished spice rack. It looks like a work of art now. Very bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It was fun to make! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  2. It looks so good and makes me want to make something with all the goodies stored on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrissie! Now if I could just get time to use that wool instead of just collecting it! ha!
      Thank you for stopping by !

      Delete
  3. Very colorful and really great redo, repurposing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever! Great reuse of a spic rack! Thanks for sharing on let's get acquainted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nat for hosting this week!!

      Delete
  5. Looks great! Perfect storage: more than meets the eye and pretty to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! Maybe it will give me the motivation to get my crewel work done! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. It looks wonderful! You did a fantastic job repurposing your spice rack. I have an old spice rack sitting in my garage waiting for me to give it a new life. After seeing how great yours turned out I can't wait to work on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would love to see yours when you finish! Have fun!!

      Delete
  7. What a good uses for that spice rack! I have one of those too, and can just see all my pearl cotton on it! Thanks for the ides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be amazed at how much it can actually hold. I have the shelves behind the wool packed. Have fun with yours! Thank you for stopping by!
      Jan

      Delete
  8. Amazing use of a spice rack! It does look very pretty too with the rainbow of colour, thanks so much for linking up! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan