Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Patriotic Quilt.

The last few days have been really busy around the farm. We have been getting the equipment ready to plant corn, planting corn and cleaning up the mess. The whole time all this was going on I  kept thinking about these fabrics and trying to come up with a pattern to use them in. There are actually 7 prints between the two bundles. 





My favorite is the Liberty Bells print. It is from "The Betsy Ross Collection" for Marcus Brothers fabrics. And the small cream stars on red are "Civil War Homefront" by Barbara Brackman. The other pieces may be from Joann's. I am not sure as they have all had the selvages removed. 
Now I also wanted to make a quilt that I could practice my free motion quilting on. Something that would have large open areas. Something that I could use around the house if my quilting doesn't look very well. I chose to use Jeni B's In Color Order "Giant Vintage Star pattern. I had bookmarked it when Jeni first made this quilt using vintage sheets.
It measures 68 1/2 "square. The gray looking star points are actually the navy with tiny cream stars from the 1st fabric photo above. I think it makes a great quilt to have around the farm!
 Jeni's pattern is very versatile and it is a great pattern for using large scraps or co-ordinated bundles. I used a mid grade muslim for the background.
It was really hard to photograph, even on the clothesline! Now I cannot decide if I want to practice free-motion quilting on it or let someone with a large machine have a go at it! I plan on using a solid dark red for the binding and I have no idea for the backing yet. This was yet another one of those projects that I wasn't sure if I would like the outcome, but turns out I love it!

Please take time this weekend to remember all the brave men and women that gave the ultimate sacrifice while defending our country and protecting us and our loved ones! Remember their families
and loved ones as well.
 jan
xo

14 comments :

  1. That is the perfect pattern for those fabrics, which by the way I love. I envisioned a white on white star fabric for the back. But then again, every time I envision something I can never find it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK - Claudia - I had the very same thoughts. lol. I actually dug through my large pieces looking for a tone on tone star fabric. I thought I had an off white piece but haven't found it yet. Great minds really do think alike! Have a great Memorial Day!
      Jan

      Delete
  2. So beautiful and love the pattern!! I will have to add this to my list! Have a wonderful Memoriald Day weekend Jan! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! It was verrrry easy to make and super quick. The quilting of it will be the hard part:) Have a great day!
      Jan

      Delete
  3. What a lovely quilt. Be brave, I'd love to see you FMQ this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Serena- I don't have a great machine for FMQ but I may just try it anyway. I have done smaller projects - but this one is pretty big. Have a great day!
      Jan

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! You did an awesome job! You really have made something unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lisa - it was alot of fun

      Delete
  5. ahh, we are sympatico. patriotic colors and HSTs! love it. have fun FMQing your giant star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by! I love your chevron quilts.

      Delete
  6. I just looked at this quilt again...it's true...I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Thanks Claudia - its growing more and more on me. But it is also intimidating me. All that open space to see my quilting - no where to hide. lol

      Delete
  7. love your patriotic start! this pattern is on my to-do list, I even have some fabrics picked out for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'd love to see it and be sure to post it to Jeni's flickr group In Color Order. Have fun. Jan

      Delete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan