Saturday, June 1, 2013

A touch of Bavaria!

Last summer I just happened to come across an attic sale..ahem.. simply by accident. So I decided why not stop and see what attic treasures I might could unearth. This is what I found:
All 10 1/2 yards stuffed down into an old coffee can.
 I asked the young lady if she knew anything about this treasure and she said her grandmother used to sew and had probaly picked it up at a yard sale . It doesn't appear to be old , except for the musty smell, and is in excellent condition. I paid her and off I went having no idea what I would possibly use it for. Could I sew it around the hem of a skirt? Would people look at me as though I was a brick shy of a full load if  I wore a skirt with this around the bottom? The last time I saw something like this was on a denim bag I carried during high school. Yes, I am a flower child/baby boomer. lol...

It measures 5 7/8" wide. There is 1" on the bottom and approx 2" on the top of the background fabric. The flowers are approx 3".
I actually laid it on a shelf and forgot about it, until this week when I saw these fabrics online:
A Bavarian half yard bundle at Anna Lena's. Anna Lenas is the online site for Karen Snyder.
Look at these sweet prints! I love Bavarian themed fabric. I didn't know that I loved it until I received this darling bundle.
 I think they look terrific with the embroidered border fabric. I know. It is super, super busy so I need to figure out a pattern that would help tone it down some and one that would make use of the embroidered border.  I was thinking maybe some Redwork blocks. Maybe Aunt Martha's Dutch girls or Windmills patterns. I love Redwork and have always wanted to do some. Maybe this will be a long term project. And how can I get rid of the musty smell? Do I hand wash now or wait and wash the quilt afterward? It is already fraying some on the edges. Plus the fabric is slightly puckered? Will that be a problem in a quilt?
 I am really excited to find this fabric that looks so cute with the embroidered border. My darling handsome farmer husband dude said he was glad that I finally found $40.00 worth of fabric to go with my $2.00 border! He understands me perfectly! He came back from the hardware store with these:

He thought these were my colors. Bless his ever lovin heart! Guess I better go help him plant some tomatos.
I would love to hear what pattern you think I should use and what to do about the musty smell!
Thank you and I hope you
have a great weekend!
xo
Jan
Oh, and if you haven't ever seen Karen's online store, be sure and check it out. She designs mostly Reproduction prints. She also has 4 books in print.
Linking up with Design Wall monday at Patchwork Times and Lets Get Acquainted being hosted this week by Annabella at Life's Rich Pattern. You should totally go check out her blog. She has made a Camelot block that is amazing!

31 comments :

  1. The embroidered fabric is beautiful! And it matches the fabrics so well! It seems like they were made for each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I was lucky to come across that bundle of fabric.

      Delete
  2. Finding treasures at yard sales is just the best. And what a fabulous bundle of fabric to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to go to yard sales and thrift stores too. I always wish I knew the story behind all those vintage treasures. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Lovely match of fabrics to border!
    I would be wary of washing it before it is stabilised, as it may fray more! If you have , or have access to, an overlocker, ( serger) I would be tempted to overlock the edges to make it stable first. Then I might put it in a net bag and wash on a gentle cycle?

    Or, isn't there something with putting it in a bag in the freezer, that helps?? Or am I dreaming that one? not too sure...

    Good luck though- It is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good idea! I did pick up a serger at an estate Sale last year! lol. I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. I really don't have a place to set it up and leave it, so I haven't played around with it much. But now I guess I will. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  4. good advice there from mammafairy- shes know her stuff. good luck, the fabrics all look fab and i hope you did your duty with the tomato plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I did get the tomatos planted. This year we are doing raised beds and containers. I ran out of room so I still have the peppers and more tomatos to plant. But I will as soon as I get the containers filled up!

      Delete
  5. Your fabric bundle looks wonderful with your yard sale border find. Looks like you have some very good advice on how to handle the musty smell. The redwork idea sounds really good for your quilt. Lots of white background fabric is just what these pretties need, I think ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Pat - lots of white! I wonder if I did redwork blocks and white sashing with a colored cornerstone if that would be too much white (with the redwork on a white background?)I would like to use the embroidered fabric as the border but it is only 5 7/8 wide, but maybe with a smaller inner border to match the cornerstones. I dunno - by the time I get the redwork done I will have to figure it all out again. lol

      Delete
  6. Love your trim, what a score! I pick up a lot of vintage fabrics and trims and find success by pre-soaking them in the machine with one cup of vinegar mixed in the water, rinse, then I add one cup baking soda before the actual wash (gentle) cycle. Your trim may be safer to do by hand. So pretty, maybe some kind of lattice pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh - I hadn't thought about using it as lattice. That's a great idea too.

      Delete
  7. I had a house coat I made with this same trim! I would definitely hand wash it to start. It will need double seams to keep it from fraying.(or overlock) The vinegar is a sure way to remove odor. I was thinking of a rail fence pattern with the trim in the middle 'rail'. Either way....your new bundle is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - a housecoat trimmed in this must have been very pretty indeed. And I hadn't thought about a rail fence pattern. I guess I will try to get the serger working and serge it first. Thanks for the ideas.

      Delete
  8. What a perfect match! Those fabrics and the trim are such great colours...love them. Can't wait to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really excited when the fabric arrived. I really want to do some hand embroidery to go with this so it will probaly be a while before I get it done.lol I am very slow at embroidery. Just can't see as well as I used to.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi - I bought the trim honestly thinking I would probaly never use it, then I found this fabric and I love them together!

      Delete
  10. Lovely. i love that your husband matched your gloves to your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - he can be really funny. I think he thought maybe I would use them more if I really liked them.( Don't tell him, but I didnt want to get them dirty so I use my old holey pair) lol

      Delete
  11. What pretty trim and love those fabrics!! So pretty and colorful! You can try soaking it in baking soda, but I honestly always have such a hard time getting that smell out. Let me know if you find something that works!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several people have suggested vinegar. I am going to serge the edges first and then I will probaly try the vinegar and handwashing. I'll let you know how it turns out.xo

      Delete
  12. Beautiful pairing! I love the fabric pile. Can't wait to see what it becomes. Has anyone suggested trying Soak Wash? I wash my (cashmere and mohair sometimes single ply) hand knits with it. I think they sell little single-dose paper envelopes of it, Soak Singles? Fresh smell! I'd be so nervous that the embroidery might bleed, I'd do it in the sink by hand with cold water. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I am always nervous with primary colors and white. I thought I might cut off a small portion(after I figure out my pattern) and try it first. I have also heard that you can set the colors with vinegar. I am definitely handwashing with cold water. I will have to try to find Soak Wash. I've always just used Wool Lite
      but didn't know about trying it on this. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  13. Tip- if you want to respond, send emails at least to me! I love the fabric wash the old fabric using tide balls you stick in washer machine. They worked for us! Throw a colorfast sheet in with it to avoid the material fading! Let me how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A match made in heaven! And your husband's little gift is adorable too! Visiting from small blog meet. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Karen - and I love my little gloves:) Also I checked out your blog and signed up to follow:) have a great week
      jan

      Delete
  15. Hi Jan...What a colorful project you will have. I'm a fellow North Georgian Mountain quilter participating in the Get Acquainted blog link party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! what a treasure! and the fabric just matches it perfectly. they look like they were made for each other. Can't wait to see it come together.

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well firstly, thank you for the lovely shout out!! :) Don't the two go incredibly well together? They really do look like they were made for each other. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would air them outside for 24 hours (if you can!), the fresh air and a little sunshine do wonders!! I have gotten smoke smell out of fabric that way. The fabrics with your garage sale find are such a great match! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan