Friday, August 23, 2013

eeeek! 10 and counting!!

Oh my goodness yall! She has finally done it. This sweet hen started going broody in MAY! We thought something had gotten her because we let them free range during the day and put them up at night. She was missing a few days and we finally found her sitting on a nest full of un-fertile eggs.
 We tried unsucessfully twice to break up her nest so she would quit sitting. We do not have a Rhode Island Red Rooster. The only roosters I have are small little Bantams. So therefore unfertile eggs!


She was so determined to have babies that it broke my heart and I was finally able to find  her some fertile eggs from a friend. He gave me a dozen that were from both Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks. Barred Rocks are black and white!
So 21 days ago we slipped the fertile eggs under her, took her bad eggs out and my hubby built a pen that we lowered down over her. She never even got off the nest when we were putting the pen over her.

She is determined to hatch those last two eggs! The chicks are so sweet and seem to be doing well. They were already eating and they were just born today! I will try to get some better pictures tomorrow. I just couldn't wait to share these sweet peeps with yall!

Also tomorrow is the last day to  vote on the 2013 Pets on Quilts contest. For every vote you get a chance to win one of the giveaways! There are alot of great prizes! I entered the photo of two of the kittens that I found on my Giant Churn Dash Quilt.  I also made a blankie for the Padsworth Project. And if you make one and leave a comment you will get two chances for the giveaways! I would love to have your vote. I am Cat#84 and you can also vote for Dog, Other Pet, EQ Designed, Art Quilt and Pet themed Quilt. Some people have had trouble voting and have had to enter their choices more than once before they showed up.   And just in case you missed my last post, all the kittens that I found are now in their forever homes and the mama has been spayed and is in a foster home!

And remember Monday continues the "Be a Hexie Queen" Blog hop! Yall I never knew there were so many ways to make and use hexagons.! There have been some fantastic projects. So if you need some hexie inspiration be sure to check out the "Hexie Hop"!  You will also be eligible for some great prizes from our sponsor Connecting Threads. My day is the 28th and I have alot to do to get finished up! There is definitely something hexilicious going on around here!


Thank yall so much for stopping by and checking out my peeps! I can't wait to get some more pictures to share of the new peeps, the new calf and we are waiting on another heifer cow to have her first calf any day now!
Also I would love to give a warm welcome ( and I hope you will too) to two of my newest friends and followers:
Heidi of Grizz and Dove 
and
Jacqueline of Buzzing of Bees.
 It is so great to have you ladies plowing along with me. Please feel free to grab my tractor on the sidebar for your blogs.
                                                          Friends, I hope yall have a quilty kind of day!
                                                                I'll be back with pictures of my peeps!
                                                                                      xo jan


15 comments :

  1. Congratulations on the peeps!! Can't wait to see your hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for chicks! We just moved and sadly had to send our chickens off to a friend's farm ;( Maybe by next year we'll be collected enough for a new brood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice thing to do for her....adding the fertile eggs! She looks happy. I voted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, aren't they so cute? That was a very sweet of you to get fertilized eggs for her. She was bound and determined to be a mom and you made it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You little chicks and story are adorable. We raised a bunch of chickens, ducks and geese last spring and are just now starting to get eggs. I can't wait until one of the hens starts to set. Thanks for being a follower of mine too. I will follow you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, so glad she was able to have some chicks! Too sweet of you!! Happy weekend! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I never thought of slipping some in. My momma hen just started sitting again today. S, when I saw your post I thought maybe the time of year. I think it is awesome she will raise two different kinds kind of like a serigate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the little barred rocks! Are they brown egg layers too? Also as mean as it sounds I've heard you can dunk broody hens in cold water to get them unbroody... I don't have chickens though (yet) so I have no idea if it works or not. Congrats an your new little fluffballs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the sweetest thing EVER! Congrats to new mommy! Ps I voted for your sweet kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little chicks are so cute! I'm dreaming of having my own for a long time. I grew up with lots of chickens, really miss that!
    Have a great new week! xxBarbina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, they are adorable! I'm your newest follower, and look forward to seeing your posts in my inbox! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH YAY!!! She is a mother hen now, soooo cute. I am happy for her - love that she was so darn determined. What a great little chicken you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's just down-right cute!!! What sweet little babies :*) Love your gingham hexies - can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just want to drop in and say I am so happy you won your category of cats on quilts on Lily Pad Quilting. Those kitten stole my heart.
    My grandmother had a farm and in the summers I lived with her doing farm work as a teenager, so I love your photos of kittens and chickens.
    Congrats on your win.
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan