Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Gracie Girl Finish, 100 Quilts for Kids, Please Vote and A New Calf!

UPDATE: Hey Yall!  The last time I checked "100 Quilts for kids" was at 82 98. The link is open until Sept 30th! So if you have made a quilt be sure to link it up asap!
 Also I decided to enter my Gracie Girl quilt in this week's contest at Quilting Gallery's "Quilts for teens". Voting is open until Monday. If you have a moment I would love your vote for my "Gracie Girl visits the Farm" quilt. You get up to three votes and a chance at winning some of the prizes for each vote! (Gracie Girl visits the Farm quilt is going for "100 Quilts for Kids") Thank yall and I hope you have a great weekend. xo jan
 
Hey yall. A few weeks ago I won a 10" stacker of Gracie Girl from Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet!  Gracie Girl is Lori's newest line that she and her daughter Kassidy Grace designed together.

These prints are just so adorable.


I used a double sliced layer cake pattern and 20 of the 21 squares.


I backed it with a gray tone on tone polka dot that I had in my stash. I just love the polka dot backing!


I started making blocks a few days ago and finally got the chance to finish it up.

I free motion quilted a simple stipple using a baby blue thread.

I had planned to take the quilt to the playground for a photo shoot, but I have been watching a new calf and cow all day while that handsome farmer hubby dude was at work.

So instead I settled for taking pictures around the house. And I had plenty of help!

I think she approves!

However I DID NOT approve of her walking on my quilt. I had to carry her to her coop and shut the door! Glad I haven't washed it yet.

Heck, I think it looked better with her on it!

Gracie Girl measures 36x54. I love the polka dot binding which I machince stitched to the front and stitched in the ditch on the front catching the back. This quilt is for "100 Quilts for Kids". Paying it forward yall!

This little quilt was so easy to make and I love the fun prints. The colors are gorgeous.
Thank you Lori and Kassidy!
And here is a picture of what kept me busy all day until it was almost too late to take pictures of my quilt!

He is a very large and healthy little bull.
(I tried to correct the red eye but it didn't work)

She is such a good mama! This was taken right at dark when I went to close up their coop.
Yall, I hope you enjoyed a little closer look at Gracie Girl. Oh and the 21st square that I didn't use in the quilt is this one:

I thought I could use it in a pouch or pincushion.
Yall thank you so much for stopping by. And please join me in giving a warm welcome to two of my newest friends and followers:
and
Corina!
Welcome to the farm ladies!
Feel free to grab a tractor from the sidebar and plow along with us!
Folks, I hope these last few days of summer bring yall lots of peace and joy.
You'll find me trying to keep the hens off my quilts and chasing newborn calves.
xo jan
Linking up with the following fabulous linky parties:

Check them out yall!

23 comments :

  1. Jan I just love the quilt! Fabric is very pretty and the design looks simple but pleasing to the eye. What was the name of the pattern? Oh, and on the red eye... I've never been able to remove red eye from animals... Isn't that odd? Love the shots though... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely quilt, the fabric is so much fun!!! The picture of the hen on your quilt is hilarious - is this the little girl that likes cuddles? So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely calf, and a lovely quilt (love the picture with the chicken)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan ....love the pic of the chicks and calf. So gorgeous. Your quilt is great fun!! Love the fabric. Have a great weekend. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. a lovely quilt with fab fabrics, the chicken looks so much at home on it. How wonderful to be living on a farm with all the cows etc and the calf is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are brave to let that chicken on your quilt! Congrats on your new addition. I like that line of fabric too. Very fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love how this quilt turned out. It's a simple pattern, but your fabric choices really come alive. Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading your blog and all the happenings on the farm! Thanks for sharing it all!! Love the new quilt too and paying it forward!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats with your beautiful finish. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute quilt and calf :) Lori's fabrics are always beautiful but the prints often don't suit my sewing. This line, however, I am eager to add to my stash :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahw, I love the animal shots! babies of any kind are cute. I've made a sliced layer cake quilt before. I love how quickly they come together. dang, why am I reading blogs right now?! i'm going to go quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt and great photos! The babies are the icing on the cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jan,
    The quilt is sooo pretty! Just perfect for a teen girl! Some lucky girl will love it and know it was made with love!

    I think your chicken wants to become famous...posing on your quilt like a model!
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful day on your farm with us.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the picture with the chicken on the quilt, although I can't say that I would approve of that either! I just got a little stacker of Gracie Girl, and the prints are so cute!

    I'm so glad you shared at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great quilt! Yes, polkadots are so much fun. Great shot of momma and son.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute, cute quilt! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HIlarious comments on your pictures. Love those chickens. We have 8 so we know how they entertain. Love the new calf too. He looks soft. Your quilt is darling too. Thanks for making me smile- K-

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Gracie Girl is a very sweet quilt. The backing and binding are fabulous, too! Silly chicken. Always enjoy your farming shots!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love these fabrics! So great together. That chicken is making me nervous though,lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Jan, Gracie Girl quilt is very very pretty indeed. Great job of creating it. I also loved all the photos of your farm life. Neat. I am your newest follower on Bloglovin. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been coveting that fabric. I have got to have some. I call my grand daughter Amazing Gracie, because her name is Savannah Grace. Pinning this quilt, so I can get some inspiration when I get my layer cake. No money, need layer cake very muchhhhhhhhh lol :)
    Does fabric "talk" to you like it does me? I love following you blog by email. It makes my day and puts a smile on my face. Thank you. My name is Jan too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan