Friday, September 6, 2013

Fall-ing for this Flimsy.....I think...

Happy Friday Yall. I hope you have been having a good week. If you happened to have stopped by my blog in the last day or so, you would have heard me whining about a jelly roll I was working with. It is Sandy Gervais " Pumpkins Gone Wild".  Trust me, wild is the key word here.

Yeah. I don't know what to think either. Don't get me wrong, I love this line of fabric. But I am not sure the design works so well with this jelly roll.

I just did framed four patch blocks.There are alot of very busy prints in here.

No matter how I arranged or rearranged the blocks, ...busy, busy, busy.( You know, before this year I have only basically made four or ninepatch block quilts using only two or three colors. I am still struggling with color placement and contrast. I have SO much to learn!)

But, I am getting more used to this flimsy as I photograph it.

I LOVE that black polka dot fabric.


I really like this block too. I think this line is so cute. Definitely a fall quilt without being just Halloween. But this flimsy has more going on than "Carter has Liver Pills!"

It measures 48x56. I can't decide if I want to add borders or not. I had planned on a small brown grunge inside border with a wider outside border of the orange tone on tone fabric that is hanging next to it.  Then a black binding. But, there is so much orange already. The plain borders might give the eye somewhere to rest. (The green in the right side of picture below is too light.)
I am trying real hard to only use fabrics that I have in my stash. But, I also found online some of the main floral print that I would love to use for the backing.
It is the center block with the large floral on cream background in the picture below. Or I could just go with a grunge.

So, what do you think? Border or no border? Straight line quilting or allover leaves and loopy loos?
I don't know, but I think I am falling for this flimsy. I would like to say Thank you to Serena at Sew Giving. On wednesday I was ready to just set the whole thing aside, but she encouraged me to "keep ploughing, that I might be surprised at the outcome". I think she was right. So Thank You Serena!
And remember,



Pin It Blog Hop starts on Tuesday! My day will be on Thursday. I 've got to get busy and finish up my pincushions. Plus I may just have a wild giveaway to boot.
Also I would love to give a warm welcome to two of my newest friends and followers;
and Charlotte.
Welcome to the farm ladies. I am thrilled to have yall plowing along with me.
Feel free to grab a tractor on the sidebar for your blogs.
Folks, I hope yall have a great weekend and that you find a flimsy to fall for.
xo jan
Linking to the following lovely places:
Check em out!

28 comments :

  1. I actually really like this quilt, I think it is full of Fall fun. Makes me think of snuggling up on a hay ride or an early fall picnic. I vote no borders, straight line quilting. How's Mother Hen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't see anything wrong with this quilt top. I don't think I would even add a border, but make the binding solid dark. Quilt it simply without to many curvy lines or maybe a radiating circle from the center. It really is perfect for the busy fall season. Well done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would add a border. It will really help with the business of the quilt. It's cute though and you did a good job with it. Straight line quilting for sure! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan .....I love the quilt!!! It is good to step outside your comfort zone and enjoy the journey. It's fun. Thanks for sharing Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a kwilt with PGW fabric a couple years ago. I added two borders...but looking back, I would not add a border today. I did a meander to soften all the straight line piecing. It's is on my FLICKR stream. I love the busy, fun fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that it is really cute! I love that it is scrappy. I would definitely add more of a "plain" border though, so I would go with the orange. I think it will help to neutralize the eye. Also loops and leaves would be a perfect compliment to the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this quilt is just "plain" happy! :) it might not be one you love, but you just have to smile when you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that it is wild and scrappy and happy!
    I think a plain border would look tie it together... maybe the green?
    I love it the more I look at it!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks wonderful for fall. I would add the borders. I also like the idea of all over leaves for quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this quilt!! To me, it has a slighty retro-70s feel which I love!! My mom has a perfect brown owl cookie jar that would look fabulous with it. My vote is for adding a border and doing straight quilting. One of these days I might just make a fall quilt... hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great fall quilt! Love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love your quilt!! It is sew fun!! I think I would just bind it with black, it really doesn't need a border.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know Jan.. It's busy but VERY pretty! I think I would do some solid borders... I like the narrow brown grunge... Then a wider outer birder but not too busy of one. Quilting is tough... Because it is so busy I would say straight line or overall would work. The quilting will get lost in there. Maybe a diagonal straight line.

    Oh, and the backing... That flower fabric is most awesome! I would be tempted to go for it too... Maybe combine it with a bit of cream or less bold solids of or a twist!

    Look forward to seeing it completed. Love jelly rolls! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely adore the fabric in that quilt, and how it all goes together. The pattern is wonderful too! What a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what beautiful colors! This quilt makes me ready for some cooler fall weather!

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would add a border, I like the quilt and the fabrics too, but I agree that they are all very busy and a plain border would give the eye a place to rest and also frame the quilt. Such great fabrics.
    cheers
    maggie

    maggiemine42@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually am finishing a UFO from this line of fabric...it is a nice line but yes, some of the prints are busy. I think I would go straight line quilting with a wide binding and no border...looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you colour range has worked so well but the first thing that hit me were the 2 green blocks, I am quite new to quilting but wonder whether a narrow green border might tone down the green and then another wider border,either brown or orange, just a thought,

    ReplyDelete
  19. A fabulous way to welcome in the fall... But let's not rush it. I need to hang onto summer for at least one more week! Love that top... Yes, it's busy, but in a fun way! I would not put on a border, but that's just me. And I would do straight line quilting... Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually really love this flimsy! I love the wildness of it and the colors. I think it works perfectly with the block choice. I don't usually do borders (probably because I'm lazy AND I just want to be done and cuddle with it) but if you're going to add borders I think a thin brown border would be good, followed by the orange too. I don't know that it would be too much orange. But if you did have a green, that would look nice too. And that floral for the backing is a must. If you don't mind buying it. It is so pretty and would great for the back. Oh and for quilting--what about diagonal quilting? Like from corner to corner of each block through the quilt? Make a cross-hatch through it? That might look really nice without taking away from the design... just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did it! ... and ... I LOVE it! The Autumn (you say Fall) colours are warm and inviting, like a crackling fire. I'm a fan of large/extra wide binding when there is a busy pattern and, if it's been a good hay season, I would splurge on that backing fabric you mentioned, it sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really. I might just quilt and bind. Thanks so much for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi!!! I love love this!!! I love everything about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh. My. Goodness---I absolutely LUV this quilt---no borders---IMHO, it is just perfect like it is. Quilt that puppy and it will be the most AWESOME Autumn quilt. :) (I'm green with envy :D)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love your quilt and the bold colors -- it reminds me of the changing of the seasons in prescott, arizona when i was a kid. autumn was perfect -- school was back in session, homecoming at the football games, candy corn and halloween, columbus day silhouettes, vet's day parade, and turkey time. all so memorable! solid borders in a chocolate brown might tie it all together and ground it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love your quilt and the bold colors -- it reminds me of the changing of the seasons in prescott, arizona when i was a kid. autumn was perfect -- school was back in session, homecoming at the football games, candy corn and halloween, columbus day silhouettes, vet's day parade, and turkey time. all so memorable! solid borders in a chocolate brown might tie it all together and ground it a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan