Friday, September 27, 2013

Just a little gratitude.......


Hey yall.
I got something to say.

Late today getting close to dark
Crickets already singing
Frogs croakin
Geese flying overhead
honking , I could almost hear the wind sailing through their wings
as they call “follow me”
Mama hen cluck clucking
Rounding up her biddies
Ready to roost
Then a cow bawls
And a calf answers
 Oh it’s the red cow with the new bull calf,
Then another cow bawls
It’s her twin sister calling her little heifer calf.
Mamas calling their babies close to their sides
So they can give them some nourishment to keep them through the night,
Water splashing in the troughs as I refill them
Brimming and cool, waiting, ready for the morning.
Snip my scissors go
Sharply through the thread
A tug and the gentle slide of needle and thread
Thoughts going around in my head
Grateful to be sitting there, water running, sun setting,
 cows bawling
Dirt on my jeans
A hole in both knees
So tired I can’t keep from yawning
A smile tugging at my lips
As I think about a man that rises each day
Ahead of the rest
Determined to do his best
To tend this land and these animals
Unaware of how tired he really is,
Happy to be able to work
Grateful to live in a nation
That allows him to be free
A nation founded in democracy
I rise to turn off the water
It smells so cool and fresh
A gentle breeze blows my hair
And I catch the sweet smell of hay
That’s been drying in the sun.
As my stomach growls
I head toward the barn
I can hear the clink of the wrenches
And a frustrated sigh
I turn and go to the shop for a light
Its gonna be another long night.
But my heart swells with joy
Thank God we are here in America
The land of the free
And the home of the brave.

Sometimes you just have to share what is in your heart.
xo jan
And this is what my scissors was snip snipping on:

Linking up with Kathy at Slow Stitching Sunday.
Check it out yall!

20 comments :

  1. That was so nice. And, your piece looks gorgeous. When do we get to see the other side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me go off in a dream of gratitude...Lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your talents are numerous. Very nice poem. And sweet sewing. Looking forward to seeing the front.
    PS. I sent those geese LAST week! And they're just getting there NOW?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs Jan... What lovely thoughts put so beautifully.
    We are so very lucky...
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you shared those words. I could almost smell, see, hear and feel all of it. I really love the fact that you share real work life in your posts and it just isn't about what your sewing (tho that is always wonderful fun). Yes, you have a great blog and I am happy for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely poem! I don't have your animals (or work!), but I feel that way as I watch and listen to and smell the nature around me. We are all so fortunate to live here in peace. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Roosters are crowing here sister! Proud to be an American!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a wonderful life! Hope harvest is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds idyllic your place, beats the police helicopter, sirens and general city noise any day. Love the EPP wonder what you are going to make with it, will have to watch your blog and see what appears

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing.... sounds so lovely and your gratitude is good for the soul!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post! I've been thinking a lot about gratitude lately. Thank you for reminding me that I have so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought you might like this - a sewing chicken embroidery transfer! http://www.flickr.com/photos/29529717@N04/8688519622/in/pool-hooplove/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing and beautiful project!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Lucy blocks look fabulous. I hope you'll considere joining my monthly hexie linky party - next one is 10/17.

    ReplyDelete
  15. gratitude is good and these blocks are wonderful~!!
    i was admiring all of the different ones in your most recent post as well. they are going to make an heirloom style quilt for sure~!

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan