Monday, September 16, 2013

Peeps,Pin Cushions,Reading and Redwork!

Hey yall! I hope yall have all had a nice weekend. We spent the weekend finishing up the hay! Yippee! But , spending so much time in the hay fields does have its advantages!

yep - Lots of time to work on my hexagons for my swaps and other fun hand sewing stuff. You can take a girl away from her Sewing Machine, but ya can't take her away from her sewing! I got 6 hexies done this week. Much better than my usual two per week. And we spent this afternoon setting up my baby peeps in a new lot to use until they get big enough to free range with their mama!

Yall, they are getting so big so fast. They are starting to get their feathers.This one is so sweet and curious. I think its a hen.

Pretty sure this one is a rooster. He is so pretty.

The mama has been molting some but she is looking so much better. And she is SOOOO happy. She just sings all the time. We put their small coop inside of the large pen until they get used to it and get big enough to roost up off the ground. She had a hard time getting all 11 rounded up under her at dark!


yall I had a nice relaxing time late this afternoon sitting beside my baby peeps and doing some stitching on my Redwork. Of course these girls had to come see what I was doing.

Then these two characters had to come see what was going on! The one in front has been molting too.  Both of these girls I picked up off the highway where they had fallen off the truck heading to the processing plant. They were about 3-4 lbs then. Now they are huge. I try to keep them on a diet, but it doesn't work.

This one had to have a little extra attention. She is the one that usually follows me to the pasture and I usually have to carry her back. She loves to be held. I think she missed me when we were in the hay fields.

And I finally got time to read my new book that came the other day. I want to make EVERY quilt in this book, starting with the one on the cover. Sarah Fielkes' and Kathy Doughtys' quilts are amazing. They put a fresh new look on traditional style quilts. I mean look at the polka dots on top of polka dots! yummy!
I also did some maintenance work on my blog late Saturday. More about that later in the week. but THANK YOU to the ladies that came to my rescue when I was having technical issues. And I would like to remind yall that the Pin It Blog Hop  continues this week. here is todays schedule:
Yall I have never seen so many cute and creative pin cushions in all my life. Check it out! And if you haven't entered my giveaway, you may do so here. And Thank yall so much for ALL the sweet comments on my pincushions. 
I would love to also give a very warm welcome, as I hope you will,  to two of my newest friends and followers:
April King and Debra Kay Neiman! Welcome to the farm ladies! I am glad to have yall plowing along with us!
Now I am off to visit some awesome Pincushion Creations. I hope yall will do the same.
Linking up with :Slow Sunday stitching at kathy's Quilts.
        And I hope yall will take some time this week to do some stitching and hug a chicken!
                                                                             xo jan

14 comments :

  1. Your peeps are terrific! Wow that hexie is near perfection. Love the pin cushion on your index finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Material Obsession is an inspiring book isn't it. Sarah's recent books are both excellent as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh how I love to hear the chickens, we a re not allowed to keep them but my next door neighbour and a man at the back of me have some hopefully the council will not find out as they are doing no harm. Interested to see you cannot sex them when so young, what age are they before you know what you have got?
    Love the hexies, I find EPP is so relaxing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your peeps make me soooo happy. I love love that the one you saved from the processing plant likes to cuddle - seriously so cute. You always make my day when you post about your chickens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see your post today and sew happy you got your pages set up and post on each. Very nice all around! See you tomorrow ....on PIN IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see what's happening down on the farm, Jan! That's a lot of hay! Love seeing the cover of your new book. Can't wait to see what you've been inspired to create!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww.....look at the cute little chicks! Soo sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very productive Jan! Stitchin with the chickens:) Love your pinnies and that book looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love reading your posts about your life on the farm. Your chickens/hens/chicks are beautiful. How sweet that one of them wants to be held by you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I've got that book and love it too :) Lovely to see you chicks are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hexies are looking great and so is your redwork - perfect for when you can't be near the machine! As for the Material Obsession book, it's one of my all time favourites too! Bursting with inspiration. (Did you know there is MO2??!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have had some good stitching time!! Love your pretty red work! And, your new book looks like a great one! Enjoy! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. That book is my favorite one! I even paid full price for mine and I never do that. I did end up making the quilt on the cover. It is one of my all time very favorite quilts to cuddle up with.

    Here a link to what mine looks like and how i made the background polka dots stay lined up.

    http://www.aquiltingsheep.com/2013/02/material-obsession.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for linking up to SLow Sunday Stitching so I could drop by and enjoy seeing what you're up to. Such beautiful photos! Love the photo of stitching the Dutch girl's dress and the chickens peaking at your progress! SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan