Friday, March 14, 2014

The Lorax finish!.........


Yay! My Lorax quilt has been completed, delivered,squealed over, hugged on and slept under!  YES!

I was pretty nervous about making this quilt on commission. I am not sure if I enjoy the process of sewing on commission. The result of not only being compensated for the finished quilt but the enjoyment of the little one that received it, made it so worth it!
It measures 56x78. The mom wanted it for her little girl that was being moved to her first BIG girl bed!
She said Mission Accomplished!
I used a polka dot for the backing and the the Stripe for the binding.
I love the binding! I machine stitched it to the back and then machine stitched it to the front per the customers request!
I friend of mine quilted it on her long arm machine! I LOVE her quilting. This is a pantograph. I really like how the swirls look with the "Truffala" prints on the fabrics.
I used Aurifil #2024 50 wt for the piecing and Aurifil# 2735 50 wt. for the binding. The batting is Warm n'White.
I had a little bit of the backing fabric leftover so I made a matching pillow case. I like to fold the quilt and put it inside of the pillow case for presentation. The pillow case also makes for good storage of the quilt when not being used. I shipped it that way plus wrapped it all in tissue paper and tied with a ribbon. I then put it all inside a large plastic bag just in case the box became damaged during shipping.
This quilt was so fun to make. I have made several smaller Lorax quilts in the past with just nine of the picture panels using my own pattern. So I just enlarged my pattern to utilize 16 of the panels to reach the size my customer requested.
I am glad that the recipient loves it! I had purchased my fabrics in the bright colorway from The Fat Quarter Shop! They actually have a Quilt Kit using The Lorax Fabrics in the earth tone colorway in a very cute Churn Dash pattern on clearance! Plus they have a couple of quilt patterns for The Lorax available.
   I am so happy to have a Friday finish to share even if I did finish it last week! I am linking up with the following fun and fabulous linky parties:
Have fun yall! I hope you get some sewing time this weekend! And if you haven't entered my giveaway, you my do so HERE! You have until Sunday at midnight EST to enter!
xo jan

26 comments :

  1. Your quilt is just precious , I can imagine many wonderful memories being created with this sweet quilt:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, colorful quilt. That little girl is going to cherish it for a long time! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just too stinkin' cute!! The quilting is perfect for it as well! There will be no doubt that this will be loved and cherish forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, the quilt is just lovely, and that little girl with have a lifetime of fun, tears and comfort from it. I have made quite a few memory quilts on commission, Moms, Dads, Brothers, Sisters, Aunts more than Uncles and Grandparents bring me clothing and/or blankets that there loved ones had, and even for newborns that have passed. Making memories for people is what we Quilt Makers do....So go ahead make those quilts for a lifetime of joy to come......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just darling! I'm in my 60's and even I would love to snuggle under that cuteness! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a fab quilt Jan! You did such a great job. And I love your photos too, it looks fab hanging at the park! I am sure it will bring much happiness to a lovely little girl x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny! I was looking at the quilting and thinking "Just like truffula trees!" then read your description! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute quilt! It is very stressful to make commission quilts. I made one memory quilt on commission and it was a great experience in that the quilt turned out great and they loved it but I stressed so much while working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute quilt. The quilting is fabulous and the pillowcase is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is gorgeous. I love seeing it in the playground!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So totally cute! I can imagine how much this little gal loves her new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this quilt...the pattern, the fabric, the whole look. Just adorable! Great job on the quilting too. You simply must be grinning ear to ear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so colourful wonder is it your first commission?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Qué lindo!, tan colorido, alegre.
    La funda también está hermosa.
    Saludos desde Chile
    Maru

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of course, this quilt was squealed over! it is so much fun, and the pics on the playground are perfect!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely, colorful quilt!! I love the double swirl quilting, a perfect compliment to the whimsical nature of your quilt :)

    -Soma xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great finish...so full of energy and life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd be a little skeptical as well but sounds like it all turned out very nicely in the end. That is one special mom to go to all that trouble for a little one moving into a big girl bed. You made the move for her graciously wonderful job, love the stitching and the left over.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A really cute finish, Jan! I love that you made the matching pillowcase. What a thoughtful addition!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not surprised it was well received. It is so CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very very cute. And I must say your photo shoot at the playground worked out much better than any of my attempts at using the play structures that way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute! I like the quilting with the "Truffala" as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That Lorax quilt is awesome! It makes me want one for myself, though I think I'd have to use the more neutral colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sweet, sweet, sweet! Love the bright, fun colours. What a fabulous finish! I bet that little girl was so happy! Great job, Jan!

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan