Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sewing and Sowing......










Oh these hot , hot days and it's not even summer yet. Thankfully afternoon thunderstorms bring some relief. We've had a pretty slow Sunday here. Shelling seed corn and hand stitching.
  We hand shell a lot of our corn seed. Especially the white corn. It is an Heirloom, open-pollinated corn. Makes the best cornbread you have ever put in your mouth! My husband started grinding cornmeal in his early twenty's. His mom sold cornmeal off the back porch until she got to where her health no longer permitted it. I continued the tradition until a couple of years ago when the grinder tore up. Nowadays it would take more to repair the grinder than we could ever recoup in cornmeal sales. But we still grow the corn every year and save the seed, carefully selecting only the best kernels. We plant some and save some just in case we do not make any. We do not want to loose the seed.
  The yellow seed is field corn that we grow for the cows. It is a hybrid. We also grow some sweet corn for the garden. Can you see the difference in the size and shape between the heirloom and the hybrid?  How the heirloom is not as uniform in size and shape as the hybrid. We are a little later than normal for some of our planting. But we've been later than this getting it in the ground so hopefully we'll be alright.
 Yall, I guess I have completely fallen head over heels in love with these Patchwork of the Crosses blocks.I wish that I could have met Mrs. Lucy Boston! I would love to sit and learn from her and share my blocks with her! I think I am finally starting to see the potential in fabrics that I thought before were rather plain. This block is made with a simple floral stripe. I really like how it formed a little churn dash in the center!  I love, love the vintage summery feel of this block! Reminds me of my grandmothers hankies!  Not to mention the fact that it matches my mug! :) I have some of this fabric leftover so I have listed a few kits in my ETSY shop.

  Welcome to ALL my newest friends and followers, the latest two being Silmara at Quilters Studio and Becky Wilson! Welcome to the farm ladies! I hope that yall will enjoy plowing along with us!
Have a great week everyone! You will find me either Sewing or Sowing!
Yeehaw yall!
xo jan

 I am linking with Kathy's Slow Stitching Sundays! Kathy has some yellows seeds happening over there and it's not corn either! Check it out yall!



16 comments :

  1. A fantastic new block... so pretty... great use of the fabric! Loved the photos!
    So interesting about the seeds... a great post to read... thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful block! I bet it does make you look at fabric different.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog always makes me smile! And that latest Lucy block is beautiful. You've got such an eye for fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. had no idea that there was white corn too, only yellow here. Lucy Boston block is lovely, I got a book out of the library all about her quilts the other day, thought I would like to buy it till I looked on amazon and it was about £400, could get a second hand one for £67 but decided I did not need it so badly to spend so much money on it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to hear about your corn stories! I love your block also - so inspired......!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It IS like a delicate old fashioned hankie...just beautiful! :)

    Interesting to hear about the corn / I enjoyed this : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb - I tried to send you an email but you are showing as a no reply blogger. xo jan

      Delete
  7. Your mug and little quilt are a perfect match! Did you match the fabric to the mug or visa versa? Either way they are both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is gorgeous. Perfect match to your mug. So pretty and dainty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how you fussy-cut the pieces; especially the outer ones with the little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Cow this block is amazing!! I love how you fussy cut and those stripes end up perfectly framing the center. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Friend! I love your blog, and I've done follower... I really like how to tell his life on the farm, and of course his work, especially the project of Lucy Bostón, I love! Thanks to your explanations, in short I will start my own... It makes me very excited, it is a wonderful job... He his going to be beautiful! Congratulations! You I write from Spain, I am a mother, wife and grandmother, and I work inside and outside the home, and I don't have much time as I would like, to devote to what more I like, what do the work so wonderful that you made!But I really like how it is progressing its work!Many thanks and kisses to luegoPd. I have used the translator jejejej hope you understand...

    ReplyDelete
  12. the block is lovey, as always you do great work, either sewing or sowing......lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colors! And for those of us who are just wannabe farmers, please share what "shelling" seed corn is. Exactly. And if you can explain that without laughing, I owe you some cookies. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad Kris sent me over. Your blog is wonderful, I'm now a follower

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to know what corn seed you are growing! I do small scale crop trials fir Seed Savers Exchange and grow inly open pollinated-heirlooms in my garden. I love your little blog and though I'm not an official "follower" you are bookmarked and I check in regularly!

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan