Sunday, August 24, 2014

Aurifil BOM.........

Hey yall!
 First, I am so happy to report that we are finally winning the battle over the pink eye around the farm! Hubby has worked relentlessly treating the infected cows,calves and bulls and implementing more preventative measures with the remainder of the herd. We are down to only TWO infected! Yippee!! We also had a neighbor a few miles away call asking if we had seen any pink eye over on our place? He has 8 infected cows right now and our vet has had around a dozen infected. I don't know why this year has been such a problem in this area, but thank goodness it is almost over. Hopefully with all the cows still retaining their sight. One of the two that we have that is still infected is in pretty bad shape though. She is older and may loose one eye. She was born on this farm along with her twin sister. And we still have their mother. Both of the girls have calves on them too. Even if she looses her eye, she will not be going anywhere. She is here to stay. Like her mother who is now 28 yrs old or there abouts.  My hubby can walk up to most every cow in our pasture and lay his hands on them.  She has been no exception, until now. She has become pretty shy of us. I guess she doesn't want us doctoring her anymore, but we have to. Hopefully she will settle back down soon and maybe that eye will clear up. 
  This afternoon I finally had the opportunity to do a little sewing. Each year Aurifil offers a Block of the Month quilt along. Pat Sloan is the incredibly talented coordinator that brings it all together. You can find the Flickr group here where we upload our photos for a chance to win a Large Spool box of Aurifil Thread EVERY MONTH! Woot! Woot! You can also see all the other participants blocks and a list of the previous months winners and find the patterns for all the Aurifil Blocks of the Month ! 
 Here is my August Aurifil Block of the Month:

 A polka dotted button! The pattern this month is brought to us by Michelle Foster! I love this block. Now I always have a difficult time sewing small pieces but  Michele's pattern was very easy to follow! 
  These are my blocks from January , July and August. I have some catching up to do! I have always wanted to make a pink and brown quilt. I am using Pirouette from Fat Quarter Shop. I love how it is turning out so far!
It's not too late to join in the fun! You can find the pattern for this months block along with all the previous patterns here! These are so much fun to sew and I am learning some new blocks too!
  Now to just catch up with the rest of my blocks! Thank you  Aurifil and Pat  for hosting such a fun Block of the Month QAL! 
I hope yall are finding a little time to sew! And since it is Sunday, I am linking up with Slow Stitchin Sundays at Kathy's Quilts! Drop by and see what everyone is working on today!
Have fun yall! 
xo jan


Now how did those sneak in here??  I did get 3 Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses blocks put in the shop this week. :)
Have fun yall!!
xo jan

13 comments :

  1. You picked some really wonderful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the pink eye is getting under control...read about that last week. Beautiful blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the Lucy block in pink and green. The fussy cutting makes such an interesting design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Aurifil Blocks of the Month. Such pretty fabrics for brown and pink!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning blocks and I had no idea that cows could be afflicted with pink eye. I can see that it would be hard to contain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It never occurred to me that cows could get pink eye!

    Love the colors you chose for the BOM blocks. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you win that thread! My grandkids have had pinkeye, but it sounds as though it can be a lot worse for cattle - poor things! Hope they get better soon and without loss of eyes or sight! I LOVE your POTC blocks!!!! Absolutely amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good to read the cows are getting better, never thought about how long a cow lives for but you say one of yours is 28, how much longer will she live? some great blocks and love the Lucy Boston ones great fussy cutting on them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you are having so much work. My father in law is having the same problem this year! In 8 years they have never had a problem and this year almost all have had pink eye. Your block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad the cows are doing better, I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into carving for them. Your blocks are beautiful and thanks for all the info on Aurfil BOM, looks like so much fun. I love your pink brown too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a terrible infection to try to get under control... and a lot of extra work.
    Glad you still have time for stitching. The Aurifil blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are very interesting blocks, with the square around the outside. Lovely work, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in awe as to how you can find the time to help manage your farm and make such beautiful quilt designs. Love the pink and brown - esp. the lovely cottage rose fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan