Monday, September 1, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop...

Hey yall! Welcome to my stop on the "Around the World Blog Hop"! That's me down there under that big cloud covering North Georgia, USA! If you've landed here, it's probaly because you have been hopping around visiting bloggers from all over our gorgeous big blue orb, better known as planet Earth!

   But before I tell you a little more about me, I would like to say a great big THANK YOU to Karen of Karen's Quilts, Crows and Cardinals for tagging me in this hop. Karen is incredibly talented and generous.
And soon to be teaching her very popular quilt that she cooked up for the Moda Bake Shop, "Red Birds and Berries".
Isn't it gorgeous! It is definitely on my bucket list. And look at her free motion quilting in the background. Just stunning.! Karen will be teaching this darling mini at Quilters Corner in Ithaca NY on Sept 10 and 24th along with three other projects and an open class studio during the Fall Semester! You should see the other projects she will be teaching! Adorable! Way to go Karen! You can read more about Karen and her post in the Around the World Blog Hop here! Thank you Karen for being such a dear and supportive friend!
 
   For this blog hop we were asked to talk about and share the following with you:

1. What am I working on? 
2. How does my work differ from others of its genre? 
3. Why do I write/create what I do? 
4. How does my writing/creating process work?



Hmmmmm....
1.  What am I working on??
 Well if I am anything like most quilters/sewist/crafters I have more than one project in the works at any given moment.
  My latest and biggest UFO to date would have to be my Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses quilt. These are my latest two blocks:
 These are English Paper Pieced. A huge obsession of mine lately! It takes 56 of these little beauties to make the original size quilt of 88"x 99"!   No, I didn't fall off my tractor and bump my noggin'. But farm life is the main reason that I took up English Paper Piecing. I often found myself out at the barn or the hay fields wanting to sew and I began carrying along little hand sewing projects like my Hexie flowers for the Inchy Flower Swap. Then I discovered Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses and was totally hooked. I love fussy cutting. And I am working on a pattern that incorporates these blocks.
I am so excited also to share my love of Patchwork of the Crosses and have opened an ETSY shop "Featherweight Quilt Company" to share my block designs. I sell kits of my blocks from whatever fabric I have leftover after making my blocks. This is a great way to get started making these blocks and to learn fussy cutting. The kits include the necessary fabric and the paper templates for making the block. Additional English Paper Piecing supplies, like hexagons, diamonds for 6 pointed stars and acrylic templates, can also be purchased from my shop! I want to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU to everyone that has been purchasing items from Featherweight Quilt Company!  I truly appreciate each and every one of you and the support that you all have shown to me. I get so excited each week when I am working on a new block to bring to yall. And I can't wait to share my pattern, hopefully in early Spring 2015!

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Well, I do not know how to really answer that except to say that we are all individuals. Even with my Patchwork of the Crosses kits there are usually several layout options so you can change the block up. However, these blocks are all made with the same 24 - 1" honeycombs. The fabric choices and placement makes each block unique. I am very excited about the fussy cutting possibilities within these designs and how you can derive a secondary pattern from fabric/color placement.

3. Why do I write /create what I do?
Well, my English Paper Piecing projects were born out of necessity really. Finding myself daily away from my sewing machine and feeling that need to create was driving me crazy. So I began English Paper Piecing as a way to fulfill that creative desire.
 Many of you already know that I love to write and tell stories. I love, love my blog as an outlet for that. My writings generally stem from my experiences from living on our farm and the happenings of that lifestyle.



I also LOVE photography and have been saving up for a nice camera! And I love to tell stories with photos. I think I would love instagram if I could find a way to fit it into my day and learn what the heck it is all about!
:)

4. How does my writing /creative process work?
Well, let's see. I have not really just sat down and thought about how I think??? :O I think I glean inspiration from my daily routine, unexpected surprises and the things I experience in and around the farm. I would have to say an idea usually hits me and I just have to do it or create it. Whether it is a block design or a story to tell. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and just have to get a pen and paper and start writing or designing something.
I am so grateful that I am finally in a place in my life where I have the freedom to create and the time to enjoy all the simple pleasures that life has to offer.
from Kelly "Always Applique"
Eeeeeek!!! See why I am enamoured by her work! Adorable!! Kelly will be posting her stop of the "Around the World Blog hop on Monday Sept 8th.. Be sure to stop by next Monday and tell her hello. I can't wait to see how her creative mind flows! 


 Secondly, I chose Cynthia of The Cranes Nest! Yall I met Cynthia through the "Grow Your Blog" Hop party. I actually won one of her giveaways. Her blog is full of gardening, redecorating and remodling and pottery! Cynthia is a very talented painter and sculptor. Her work is adorable and I want to collect it all!
Cynthia Crane on Etsy!


8 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing your world. I really do enjoy learning about others and taking a peak into their lives. Blogging certainly makes the world a friendlier place (and a smaller place) and we see that instead of being different from one another, we enjoy tons of common interests. I always enjoy your posts and hope that you continue opening your life to all of us out here in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your work. You always do a wonderful job. Those crosses are beautiful. I would like to get a nice too. Then I would have to learn how to use it ha ha. Your doggie picture made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about your farm life and seeing pictures of your animals. I live in farm country, but was raised in the city, so I appreciate and love farm life.

    Thanks for introducing me to Cynthia! That sheep is calling my name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jan -- I just LOVE the way you write and the way you express yourself. Thank you for sharing all of your beautiful creations and the lovely "down on the farm" photos. I'm always inspired by the excitement and energy that you share with everyone -- not to mention your most beautiful Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses blocks. What amazes me is the very detailed fussy cutting that you do - along with showing us the variations of arranging those beautiful pieces. I'm looking forward to reading the "tag-ees" posts next week -- another set of very talented and creative ladies. Thanks again for sharing your farm and thoughts with us -- we are definitely the fortunate ones. Its certainly my pleasure to Hop Around the World with You... Hugs... Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy reading your blog and watching you grow with your EPP. Jan, your love of life on the farm really shines and makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos and read, Jan! I always enjoy reading your blog. You are sew creative. Your POTC blocks are amazing. Looking forward to seeing your quilt! Thank you for sharing your tutorials on how your cut and piece these pretty blocks ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post Jan - its wonderful to learn so much more about you! Thank you for including me in the blog hop and for such a nice article about me and my pottery. I would love to meet you one day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan, Thanks for letting us know more about you. You know I fell in love with Lucy Boston through you. I wanted to let you know that Lori Hot at Bee in My Bonnet at http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-quilty-barn-alongvintagey-farm-girl.html has an adorable free pattern (I found that it pays to get the pattern downloaded. I didn't and she made a book from the patterns and took them down from the website) for a tractor. It's much like your sunbonnet Sue stamp. I'm thinking of making a tractor quilt for my brother at some point since we grew up on a farm. I don't think I'll make them all red even though we had an IH tractor. I think I'll just make them all different colors. I think that would be more fun. Maybe I'll put a red one near the center or as the label on the back. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan