Sunday, November 30, 2014

Aurifil BOM and Lucy Boston

Hey yall!
   I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We were busy, busy here on the farm. The twin calves are really growing and following me EVERYWHERE!


 I have to keep them closed up in the barn or they would follow me to the house!  We had a fantastic visit with family and ate way too much delicious food!
    I did manage to get my November Aurifil Block of the Month sewn just last night. The block this month was designed by Scott Hansen of Blue nickel Studios. Scott is fantastic. He uses ALOT of bright happy colors. Here is his block:

Scott Hansen - Blue Nickel Studios
Cute, right? I love it. You really need to go to his blog and see the scrumptious one he made using Liberty fabrics. And the awesome look you can achieve when you rotate these blocks and put several together!
  Here is my take on Scott's block:


I couldn't help it! I had to make a little farm out of it. I love my pink house with the Rose Wreath on the door and the brown thatch roof. It is raining on my little house and yard. The brown flying geese above the roof is a rain cloud. There are rose bushes growing on each side of the house .Across the dirt road, is my hubby with a wheelbarrow of mulch for my rose bushes. Funny thing is that he has a hat alot like that one, only he doesn't carry a slingshot in his back pocket :)! Then there I am feeding my little chicks. I do occasionally wear my hair in pigtails :).
  I had to tea stain the fussy cut fabric because it originally has a bright white background. I have 2 more blocks to catch up and then December's block is right around the corner. Here are my blocks so far in no particular order:


I still can't decide if I want to remake the top right block. These have been so much fun! And it is a FREE Block of the Month sew along with Pat Sloan and sponsored by Aurifil thread. Pat always makes everything fun and Aurifil has been very generous! Each month you have the opportunity to win a LARGE spool box! That is a $120.00 value.! You can find the flickr group here: Aurifil BOM flickr group. There are so many different versions of the BOM. Really inspiring!
  I also wanted to share a couple of my latest Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses blocks in my ETSY shop Featherweight Quilt Company. I had several requests for bright blues and oranges.
   And those that know me, know that "bright" is a little outside of my comfort zone.
 But these were really fun;

I am still just so hooked on making these blocks. The possibilities are endless. But I have to do some holiday sewing that I must get finished, so I am going to set these aside for a little while, I think. I can't hand sew right now anyway. I am still just glue basting.
  So, do you have Holiday sewing to do? I really want to make a flannel quilt BEFORE Christmas! EEEk! Has anyone sewn with flannel? Do you have any tips or techniques that will make it easier on my wrist? The front and back will both be flannel. Do I need to use batting? Should I have it longarm quilted? I am planning on using my Singer 401a. She will sew through just about anything I put under her needle. And of course I will be using Aurifil thread. My machine loves it!
  Happy stitching everyone! Thank you so much for stopping by. Any advice on the flannel is much appreciated!
xo jan








7 comments :

  1. Hello Jan, I love sewing with flannel....so soft and warm...When I make summer quilts, I use flannel for the center of the sandwich....Makes a lite warm quilt that washes well... I like making my blocks using a walking foot....the stretch or bias of flannel is touchy...but I find that the more you sew with it the more you like it...I am an avid fabric 2nd store gatherer....I love finding flannel clothing and taking it apart and using it in quilts...I am working on a jeans and yellow plaid flannel quilt now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Lucy Boston's are absolutely gorgeous !!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and creative farm block, Jan! Wow-just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You continue to wow me with your blocks!! I'll miss them while you holiday stitch -- thanks for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use lots of starch when I sew with flannel. I prefer the non-aerosol Niagra. It's a lighter starch, doesn't spray and costs just around $2.00 a bottle. I usually starch all my fabric before cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I apologize if you get this comment twice -- the first seemed to disappear ? I wanted to tell you how very beautiful your Aurifil BOM is -- my gosh the colors and placement are so pretty -- and that farm you made with the last block is precious. Thanks for sharing and inspiring Jan. Now about flannel -- I have two large flannel quilts, both were done on a longarm because of the size. I LOVED working with flannel (front and back) and used warm and natural 100% cotton batting in both. If you decide to quilt on a domestic machine, be sure to pin, pin, pin and work from the center out as flannel does have a bunch of give to it. I used flannel as a sashing on a wool wall hanging once and ran into a bit of trouble with the give on my quilting. Nothing major - just expect some give. No starch for me -- maybe that would make a difference. Can't wait to see what you whip up dear friend. xo, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm eager to get to the rest of your blog and the store, but, since Aurifil thread is my favorite, I would love to be the winner of the rose hues. Of course I would not turn down the other one offered

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan