Saturday, May 9, 2015

Happy Mother's Day!






Hi everyone! Happy Mother's Day! I hope all of you are having a great weekend and getting to spend some quality time with your families and friends!  Things have been busier than usual around the farm the past few weeks. On April 16th my little friend Missy started having seizures. She was given a new flea medicine on the 14th, Comfortis. We are not sure if that is what started her seizures. She was not having any health issues prior to the flea medicine. Seizures are listed as a possible but not usual side effect. She has had a pretty rough time of it. The seizures went away for 4 days after we started her on phenobarbital, then they came back worse than ever. Continuous seizures, so we had to rush her to Chattanooga to the Animal Hospital. They added Keppra and upped her dose of phenobarbital. She has been seizure free for 6 days now and is finally adjusting to the medications. She couldn't walk for almost a week, which is a side effect of the meds. She is so happy to be able to walk , stand and get around without having to be carried. I am very happy to have her able to walk. She has gained weight from 13.5 lbs to 16 lbs! Another side effect. We are not sure yet if they are going to try to get her off the medicine after the flea medicine wears outs of her system or wait awhile. I am just so happy to see her happy! Since she rescued me almost 5 years ago, I do not know her health history prior to that time!
  I have finally had a little time to work on some new Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses blocks! I never tire of designing these! I have also added a "Starter kit" to the ETSY shop. The kit includes everything you need to get started with these blocks! I decided to use my first block in the kit! It is still one of my favorites.

I hope yall have had time for some stitching! Happy Mother's Day!
Thank yall for stopping by!
xo jan 

7 comments :

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Missy. My son's golden retriever has had seizures for years. He is pretty old now but still on the meds. It is a tough thing to have to deal with. I do hope she is much better. Helen
    ps my son lives in Chattanooga. May use the same vet....who knows! small world isn't it? I am in Georgia. love your farming blog and your beautiful handwork! so precise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a Happy, Happy Mother's Day to you too, Jan!! I am so glad Missy is feeling better!! That is so scary. My cute Pollie dog has started having what I am calling asthma attacks. They aren't bad enought o take her to the Vet yet, but each one is very scary!! I love the idea of your POTC starter kit!! Very clever!! I hope they sell well!! Will pin to Pinerest and Facebook!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a product called Wondercide which is a topical cedar oil-based flea and tick preventative for my dogs since I am concerned about the oral flea and tick preventatives. This is my first season using it on the dogs; I have used the home and yard products before. They work well and smell great, but the downside is having to apply more frequently than the chemical stuff. I think it's well worth it for more healthy living though. Glad Missy is doing better; I know how scary having to go to a real animal hospital is. My whippet threw a blood clot to his lungs. He was in the hospital for 4 days on oxygen the whole time. They gave me a 6-month prognosis, but he lived almost another 2 years. Best wishes to you and Missy for a lot more time together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day! I too am glad Missy is improving. I hope all the furr babies mentioned in the other comments are doing better. Sorry to hear about the whippet but it goes to show Dr.'s can only make educated guesses but God is still in control. I'm glad she got extra time. My cocker spaniel Phoebe had anal gland cancer a couple years ago-went through surgery and chemo. She was almost 1 year cancer free when they found tumors in her lymph nodes. She does not tolerate the oral chemo pills very well so we took her off them. She now has another tumor in a different location in lymph node. Since it's inoperable she's going through more Chemo via IV. They are worried about her calcium-it's almost a medical emergency so they are treating her to lower that. In another 3 weeks they may try another procedure if it's still high. It can lead to organ shut down, seizures, then death if they don't get it under control. You wouldn't know she was sick by looking at her. We take it day by day and I feel blessed for each additional day I have with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your sweet baby continues to improve. It is so hard to see them sick and not be able to explain things. God bless you for caring for her. And hope you had a Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a tough time for your little dog; and for you too! Your Lucy Boston pieces are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are just delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan