Saturday, October 31, 2015

"Babes in the Woods" Lucy Boston and a Log Cabin


Happy Halloween everyone! I just had to share this beautiful photograph taken by Julia Hedgecoe of Lucy Bostons "Babes in the Woods".  I just love everything about this coverlet. The fabrics and colors are gorgeous. It looks like Carolina Lily blocks under the Owl. I love the fabric she used in the owl and his expression is perfect!  Perfect quilt for Halloween too!
  We do not get Trick or Treaters other than a couple of the neighbor children. I plan on making the hubby some Apple Dumplings. Other than that we will be busy around the farm and I hope to get some sewing time in on my Log Cabin quilt.
   I am still debating whether I want to use the Panel in the center. It is a panel - I did not applique it. And I love the Star that the logs form!  What do you think?


And which layout do I want to use? The one above ?

or  Traditional rows........



Or what I call Bubbles?......


 It will measure 72" square in a 6x6 layout as it is now. I am making it for a queen size bed so I will have to make it bigger. I think I want to add a narrow border and then piano keys or just a plain border of maybe the gold or green.  I also have 4 small panels that I will use for the pillow shams if I use this panel for the center, so I don't have to have a pillow tuck. I still have to measure the thickness of the mattress since it is a double pillow top to determine the width of the borders. This layout will already extend over the top of the mattress.
  Which layout do yall like? How would you do the border? Would you use the center panel?
Piano keys? Solid wide border? Green? Gold? Red?  I'd appreciate any feedback you would like  to offer!
  I also have been busy in the shop! Two new blocks this week!


It has been so dreary and rainy that I wanted to make something bright and pretty!  These are both fun!
  Also next Saturday, Nov 7th,  is our next  "Sew Simple Saturday" Linky Party! Are you planning on linking up a great tip, technique or tutorial? We have an Aurifil Prize and a Fat Quarter Shop prize for two lucky Link participants! So get those ideas and projects  ready to link up! I can't wait to see what neat ideas and helpful hints you have to share with us! You can read all about Sew Simple Saturdays here!

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced and  Kelly at Needle and Thread Thursdays! what are you working on? Be sure to stop by Freshly Pieced and  Needle and Thread Thursdays and share!
Thank you for stopping by!
 And a Big Welcome to all my new friends and followers!
xo jan

13 comments :

  1. Don't know how to advise you on the log cabin.....but I love your new blocks, especially the blue and green. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use the panel with traditional layout. Anyway you do it, it will be lovely, though. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the traditional design...and you can hand quilt the panel or even add a little bit of batting behind each piece so it gives an effect of being appliqued..love the log cabin fabrics.....and the new lucys are very pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "bubbles" with the panel and a double border. Red first and then dark green. It is going to be beautiful! I love your hexie crosses. They are so gorgeous and intricate. Thanks for all you share! Fellow Georgia girl here. Helen G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. each layout looks good, re the centre panel will you feel you should have appliqued your own once you have made it, not that I am trying to find extra work for you! Lovely colour way you have used. Like your suggestions for the border and the lucy boston crosses are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would use the pretty panel and the bubbles layout. Narrow green border first, second border of gold with six or seven circles (bubbles) of red appliquéd in each corner. Followed by red binding. Love your fabrics..very folk art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the panel ... and the traditional barn-raising setting for the log cabin blocks. I think it'll be a wonderful log cabin variation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd sew it together as it is in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jan you log cabin quilt is beautiful... I wasn't sure what I thought about the panel at first but it's kinda growing on me. I think with the right quilting you can make it pop and look appliqued. It's Kim Diehl isn't it ? Also, I love picture #2 where you can the center panel outlined in the star like shape but then added a row of traditional layout. Oh the quilting you can do !!! Your Lucy Boston blocks are amazing. You're so very talented. I'll be out of town this weekend (with Di Ford -- Squeeee) But I will still try to post on your fun Saturday Linkup. Thanks for hosting... xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilts! I chose the traditional design. It's perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your log cabin quilt and then scrolled down to fall so in love with your hand piecing project. It is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the owl too and your quilt is going to be beautiful, I love all the layouts! I think I like the first picture best. Not a lot of help from me, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow - I love that panel in the log cabins. It's so pretty in there, and with detailed quilting on it rather than all-over approach, it will make you super happy! Don't worry about it not being appliqued - it'll look fantastic with that quilting. Did you already put it together? Both layouts are gorgeous, but I think I have a slight leaning for the second one. Looking forward to seeing it as a finished top. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan