Saturday, July 30, 2016

Hoffman Challenge sneak peek, Patchwork of the Crosses and Little Dresses for Africa!!

Hi everyone!
    Wow - It has been a while since I have had the opportunity to share with ya'll here on the blog. I hope everyone has been having a great summer! We have been very busy around the farm. And lots of time spent in doctor's offices.  My hubby has not been well and was supposed to have surgery a week ago, but wasn't well enough to undergo it at that time. He is feeling better and they have rescheduled surgery toward the end of August. His doctor is very optimistic that the surgery will handle the problem with no follow up treatments. Hubby is looking at an 8 - 12 week recovery with no outside activity or lifting. We have sold a few cattle ( prices have dropped by more than .30 cents a pound!) and we moved some to a relatives farm. The remainder of our herd will be looked after by my daughter and her boyfriend, myself and hubby's brother in law and sister. There will be 5 of us doing what he would normally do each day. Maybe we can handle it! Now more than ever, I have to concentrate on my ETSY shop and do the best I can do with that. I would really appreciate all your prayers and good wishes during this time for our family and farm!!
    A little while back I mentioned a secret project that I was working on. I entered the 2016 Hoffman Challenge! I had purchased the fabrics and Aurifil thread set when they first announced the Challenge fabric. Life got in the way and I barely made the entry deadline! My very good friend , Karen Miller of Redbird Quilt Company quilted it for me! I did not get to stick to my original design, but I love the way the project turned out! And the great news is that it was one of the projects chosen to travel with the 2016 Hoffman Challenge Trunk show for the next year! Judging will be the week of August 1 - thru August 8th! Fingers crossed! I haven't ever entered a competition or quilt show in the past so this was a first for me! I do not think we are allowed to share the completed projects yet, but here is a sneak peek of "A Wing and A Prayer". AWAAP was English Paper Pieced by me and machine quilted by Karen L Miller.


  These bright Hoffman batiks and gorgeous digital printed fabrics of Crystalia really challenged me to step outside of my comfort zone! I can't wait to share the completed quilt with you. I LOVE LOVE the way Karen quilted this mini too!
  I had quite a few scraps of Crystalia left over so I decided to use them up in a table runner for me. Then Hoffman Fabrics extended the deadline so I finished the runner up and entered it also. Here is a sneak peek of my second entry, "Crazy for Butterflies"!  It was also chosen to travel with the 2016 Hoffman Challenge Trunk Show! I used lots of Aurifil thread in different weights. I experimented with Thread painting with assorted Aurifil colors and weights and used the decorative stitches on my machine for top stitching! I had a blast creating this piece!


  I have also been busy trying to catch up with my "I Love Lucy Boston International Bee". These are my latest two blocks and they will also be available in my ETSY shop next Friday August 5th! These were really fun to make!



 And I just found out that my Aunt 's church in Ellijay has a Missionary leaving for Africa the first week of September. I have already sent all my other dresses (and the ones ya'll sent to me) with two other missionary groups going from a different church earlier in the summer. I received this photo back from one group that I sent:


Look at those smiles! Thank you to everyone that sent dresses and shorts! I really appreciate all your hard work!  I only have a couple of weeks to prepare some Dresses and /or shorts for the next trip! I would love some help! If any of you have time and would like to make a Dress or pair of shorts it would be greatly appreciated! I need to RECEIVE them by AUGUST 26TH so I can get them delivered before they leave the first week of September! Just email me for my mailing address whenever you are ready to mail! I would really appreciate any help!

 I made one little dress this morning. I just LOVE this fabric! Hubba Hubba by Me and My Sister!





And how sweet are these ties! I used Aurifil 5015 and a decorative stitch on my machine!



Please help spread the word for Little dresses! 

If you need a pattern you can find one on LDFA website here: 
http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/

or I use the pattern from Nancy's Notions here: 
http://www.nancysnotions.com/text/pdf/LittleDressesforAfrica_pattern.pdf

and I have a tutorial on this blog here: 
http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/2016/03/sew-simple-saturday-link-up-party.html


  I have had pounds and pounds of Zucchini from my little garden bed. I have been sharing with my neighbors and making lots and lots of Zucchini Bread. I really like to make small loaves for the freezer. They freeze really well and will be fantastic this winter!
(I shared this photo on social media but couldn't remember if I shared here)




I love using crushed pineapple and fresh de-pitted cherries when making Zucchini Bread. The pineapple really keeps it moist! I will try to write up my recipe and share it next time!

Thank you all for stopping by! I really love and appreciate my readers/friends! Please keep my hard working hubby and all of our family and critters in your thoughts and prayers over the next couple of months!


Have a great weekend! Please let me know if you can help out with the dresses/shorts!
Hugs!
xo jan

6 comments :

  1. This is a gorgeous sampling of your quilt and runner! You and Karen have done a beautiful job! I found your through Karen on Instagram . Do you also have an acct there? I will have to search! 😊 if not, you need to utilize it so you can show your beautiful work to a larger audience! Prayers for you and your husband and that he has 100% healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorgeous sampling of your quilt and runner! You and Karen have done a beautiful job! I found your through Karen on Instagram . Do you also have an acct there? I will have to search! 😊 if not, you need to utilize it so you can show your beautiful work to a larger audience! Prayers for you and your husband and that he has 100% healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers and with your husband for his upcoming surgery as well as for you and your entire family, Jan!

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is beautiful. I just found your blog and subscribed.

    Blessings,

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. I tried to reply by email but you are showing as a No Reply Blogger. xo jan

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan