Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Curveballs and Cabins......

  Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have finally, finally finished and gifted my Log Cabin quilt that has been two years in the making! I mean, it's big, like 92 x 98, but 2 years?? Anyway, here she is : Laverne's Log Cabin!


 I just really love the way this quilt turned out.  I had the pretty little center Kim Diehl panel and thought it would make a really pretty medallion style quilt. But I wanted to make a Queen sized bed quilt for my Aunt Laverne and Uncle John that had recently (ahem, 3 years ago)  moved to Ellijay Georgia! These are her colors throughout her house. The log cabin blocks are made with Jan Patek's "Castlewood" line. ( thank you to my hubby and daughter for holding up the quilt for me to photograph) (sorry for the glare on the photograph) I designed two rows of Log Cabin blocks above the Medallon and three rows below so that the Medallion would be center of the bed. I used Aurifil 50wt color numbers 2460 and 2316.



I really wanted to do some custom quilting on this one, especially with the center medallion, but due to time constraints, I had it longarm quilted with a floral pantograph


It fits her Queen pillowtop bed perfectly! They were both very happy and surprised! I did make two pillowcases but forgot to take a photo. If I can find two of the Center medallion panels I would like to make Pillow Shams with Medallion centers.


  I want to say a great big Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers over the last few months. Hubby is doing very well. The surgery was successful and they removed all of the Cancer and the lymph nodes around it. They also tore his bladder which meant a longer surgery and a little longer healing process. He is back to doing a little work on the farm. He still has help everyday as he is still rebuilding his strength. Emotionally, I think he is doing better than I am. I kinda feel like a Batter in the World Series. If I take my eye off the ball, life will throw another Curve Ball and I'll strike out. Seeing my strong, hard working farmer dude unable to care for his animals and tend his crops has been very difficult. We had to buy all of our  hay this year and we have no corn to harvest. We also had to sell quite a few of our cows :(.  It is still hard for me not to "hover" over him like a mama hen . It is also really hard for me to concentrate (and have an interest in) on other things. I have kept the ETSY shop going but just haven't felt able to start sharing until now. Thank you to Tonia for the gentle nudge to get back to my space here in blogland!
  Thank you dear friends for stopping by and taking time to visit with me! I am soooo glad to be able to finally share Laverne's Log Cabin with you! I hope all of you have had a wonderful summer. I can't believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner!  Oh, I also wanted to share with you this years Patchwork of the Crosses Autumn blocks that I made for the ETSY shop.


I think these are sold out but they were so fun to make. Love those Turkeys!
Happy Fall yall!
Thank you for stopping by!
xo jan

 

7 comments :

  1. Fantastic job on the quilt. Thanks for the update on your husband. Have been wondering how he's doing. Happy Thanksgiving! Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see your post Jan, nice to hear your hubby is doing better. I love the quilt, what a clever idea using the centre panel, it's a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your quilt is absolutely stunning Jan! I was thinking of you the other day and said a prayer for you and your DH. Glad to hear the surgery was successful and you are trying to get back to doing normal things - sometimes you have to adjust to a "new normal" who can believe T-giving is next week. Not I ! Hope the holidays are good to you and you come back and visit real soon - hugs Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there I know from personal experience how hard it is dealing with cancer for yourself or a loved one. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you posted, I have been wondering about you. The quilt is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome quilt. The medallion idea for the middle of a of cabin is brilliant! Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear that your farmer dude is on the mend. But please take care of yourself too! Go take some pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan