Saturday, February 11, 2017

Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses Tutorial


  Patchwork of the Crosses by Lucy Boston is easy to make and so much fun to English Paper Piece. Lucy made her original quilt by the English Paper Piecing method and today I would like to share a tutorial on how to make these fun and intriguing little blocks! 

1. Gather your supplies . ( I have kits and supplies available in my ETSY shop)  .
2. Thread: My favorite thread to use when English Paper Piecing is Aurifil 50wt. 
    Colors shown are    1100,2000 &2888. 
3. Needle : I love Foxglove Cottage Straws 10 or 11's. ( I also love using a Ring Pincushion)
4. Scissors
5. Applique pin. Applique pins are short so your thread will not get tangled on the pin.
6. 1" Honeycomb Acrylic and templates. I use Paper Pieces acrylic and cardstock templates exclusively. Also available in my ETSY shop.
7. Basting thread or Glue Pen. You can either glue baste or thread baste. I prefer Fons & Porter.
8.  Lead pencil or pen for tracing your shapes.
9. Fabric for your block. I have all types of coordinated fabric kits available in the shop also.









DO NOT REMOVE YOUR PAPERS YET - PHOTO BELOW IS FOR INSTRUCTION PURPOSES ONLY!




After you have all the honeycombs basted you can start assembling the block as follows:
 With right sides together:









   And here is your finished Patchwork of the Crosses block! Wasn't that fun? I leave my paper templates in my blocks until they are joined onto the connecting blocks. ( You can remove the center 8 if you want to reuse them, but leave the outside papers in place).

 I have Starter Kits and supplies available in my ETSY shop. I can also substitute this block for any of the blocks currently available in my ETSY Shop if you prefer different fabrics. I would LOVE to help you get started on your Patchwork of the Crosses journey! 

  We are currently offering Mystery Patchwork of the Crosses kits in the shop! These kits provide the fabric and the cardstock templates to make a beautiful fussy cut Patchwork of the Crosses block. The Mystery kits are so fun because you get all the color and scale coordinated fabrics you need to make a block, but you get to decide where you want to fussy cut and the layout arrangement. 
You do not have to sign up for the Mystery Kits. This is an ongoing offer, so you can start, stop and start at anytime with no set number of blocks to purchase.

    Also, please stop by my Facebook page! I'd love to see you there too! I post on facebook when new kits available so be sure to "Like US"  and "See First" as kits are limited. And I would love to see your blocks so be sure to share!!! And stop by my Pinterest page for lots of Patchwork of the Crosses inspiration! 

AND I have a new and fun Patchwork of the Crosses program coming soon! 



1930's and Feedsack Reproduction Prints Patchwork of the Crosses! This will be so much fun. Be sure to watch Facebook for my announcement for when these kits are available! 
    I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you so much for stopping by! I can't wait to see what you create!
Happy Stitching!
xo jan

PS. Please be respectful and do not leave comments below selling or suggesting other       products/methods.






19 comments :

  1. Best tutorial ever. I mean it, the pictures are great and I FINALLY understand the center fussy cutting so much more. And I do have a question. Your honeycombs are so neatly sewn. How do you fold in your corners? Could you maybe do a few pictures of that as I am a very visual type of learner and I've not seen how these shapes are done. I knowhow to fold the fabric on the hexies, but have not seen any showing how it gets folded over onto these honeycombs. Thank you :) oh and please keep posting the occasional pictures of your farm and dog. Really enjoy them so ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      Thank you! As for the corners, I start at point. Usually the point that will be the center of the block. Finger press the seam allowance over and then fold over the other side. Finger press and make a whip stitch. Then just work your way around the honeycomb.Practice makes it easier. If you have trouble pulling in your corners tight enough, then try glue basting. I will try to post some photos in the next blog post. xo jan

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your answer, just finished a quilt so now I shall give this a go. :)

      Delete
    3. Have to get ready for your 30's/feedsack potc!

      Delete
    4. I hope to start them the beginning of March. Be sure to watch Featherweight Quilt Company facebook page for the announcement! :)!
      xo jan

      Delete
  2. Thank you, I loved the tutorial. Going to go take a look at your Etsy shop,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I am so glad you enjoyed it. xo jan

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! You gave a terrific tutorial as well
    I have no time for this right now. I am running and running everywhere
    I have a grand baby and one on the way, and my daddy age 93, and this big old house to keep up (for a while yet) and a hubby with a handful of vision troubles. Then there is my own grieving to fit in there.
    I am playing diligently with my machines and making things.
    Maybe when I God Forbid, fall and break my hip, or have to get all my teeth replaced.... then I will be sitting on my but and making these gorgeous crosses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have your hands full Rosemary. I hope everything improves for you. I keep a little sewing kit with everything ready to stitch on hand. English Paper Piecing is a great way to relax.
      xo

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Could you tell me how large one of the blocks is finished? I want to plant a quilt but I am having trouble finding size information. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the amazing tutorial, I have been confused as to how to baste the pieces of fabric to the papers. I think the hardest thing I've found with this type of block is with hexie's it's easy to find a die cutter so I can cut out my own papers, but this shape? not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the tutorial Kim. I don't even try to cut my own papers. Too much work and too much time. I'd rather be sewing :)!
      xo jan

      Delete
  6. Hi Michaela,
    It really depends on the size honeycombs that you use and if you surround it with the background pieces and then the connectors. With the background pieces it is 10 1/2"

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice tutorial Jan - I'd love to try the honeycomb EPP at some point. I've done the hexies but not in great enough number to do anything with them. So much to do - sew little time! hope you have a great week - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tutorial, really breaks out down fur beginners like me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I am glad you enjoyed it and hope it will be useful! Have fun! xo jan

      Delete
  9. Hi Jan. Thank you for a very clear tutorial. I love visual tutorial :)
    Your work is always so beautiful.
    Have a Blessed Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

Hey yall!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your words mean so much to me. Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment and if you have a blog, feel free to grab a tractor button from the sidebar and plow along with me! Ain't no tellin what we'll get in to.
xo jan